Arrhythmia Alliance and our member organisations hold meetings each year specifically for patients. The focus is education; providing opportunities for patients to learn about conditions and treatment options from both each other and medical professionals.
The single biggest patient event each year is Patients Day of the annual Heart Rhythm Congress.
Arrhythmia Alliance Patients Day aims to bring together patients, carers and medical professionals to learn from each other and share experiences of living with arrhythmias.
Arrhythmia Alliance Patients Day 2015
Sunday 4 October 2015
International Convention Centre (ICC), Birmingham UK
10:00 Welcome and introduction, Laura Wood
10:05 Paediatric arrhythmias, Dr Jan Till (London UK)
10:30 Screening for arrhythmias
10:50 Prevention of SCA with drugs and devices, Dr Stephen Page (Leeds UK)
11:30 S-ICD: a real alternative for many
12:00 Improving outcomes for an out of hospital cardiac arrest, highlighting AED, resuscitation by layperson, CPR
13:45 How to manage Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia (IST), Dr Arthur Yue (Southampton UK)
14:05 Paroxysmal Supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) and AV nodal re-entrant tachycardia (AVNRT): assessment and treatment, Jayne Mudd (Middlesbrough UK)
14:30 Life with an ICD, sharing experiences, followed by deactivation of the ICD. - a discussion for all, Dr Janet McComb (Newcastle UK)
Arrhythmia Alliance Patients Day 2014
The last Patients Day event took place at the International Convention Centre (ICC), Broad Street, Birmingham on Sunday 5 October 2014.
Feedback comments included:
"Wonderful opportunity to speak to a Consultant - the speakers were very knowledgeable and welcomed questions"
"Excellent revision and good update on latest devices now available"
"Liked the balance of stalls and presentations"
Below is the list of topics covered, some of the faculty members have granted their permission for their presentations to be available to delegates:
- Diagnostic testing for long QT, Brugada and WPW, Dr Michael Cooklin (London UK)
- Device implant and lifestyle implications - a practical guide to potential restrictions, Jean Maloney (Sheffield UK)
- Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia (IST), Dr Kim Rajappan (Oxford UK)
- The arrival and availability of revolutionary cardiac devices to help you in 2014, Dr Nick Linker (Middlesbrough UK)
- Supraventricular Tachycardia Syndrome/AVNRT: Ventricular Tachycardia, Dr Faizel Osman (Coventry UK)
- Ectopics beats vs. palpitations, Dr P Boon Lim (London UK)
- How do we assess the risk of SCA in athletes - managing the risks of SCA, Dr Martin Lowe (London UK)
- "Can you afford not to have an AED in your school, village, sports club?", Trudie Lobban MBE (Stratford-upon-Avon UK)
Photos from the event:
If you would like to view information on previous Patients Day events click here.