Home > Patients > Living with a heart rhythm disorder > Find a specialist

Find a Specialist


Arrhythmias are usually first brought to the attention of general practitioners or doctors in emergency departments.  In many cases, a patient will be referred to a cardiologist for specialist expertise. This cardiologist may or may not have a specialist interest in heart rhythm disorders.  Cardiologists who specialise in heart rhythm disorders will usually also be called an electrophysiologist. If you are seen by a general cardiologist you may be referred on to see an electrophysiologist, but if this is not offered you can request specialist referral from either your general practitioner or cardiologist.

Before proceeding with any procedure, you should ask the electrophysiologist about his or her personal level of experience and results. A team approach to arrhythmia care is important and you should also ask about the number of cases performed in the hospital where you will have the procedure.

Global database of heart rhythm specialists

Arrhythmia Alliance maintains a global directory of electrophysiologists at the Heart Rhythm Specialists website, a central database highlighting local heart rhythm disorder specialists.

The website offers information on local services to general healthcare practitioners seeking to refer a patient; and patients with heart rhythm disorders. The website aims to bring together a comprehensive database for easy, accessible use by healthcare providers and patients alike.


To add your details, including specialist areas and hospital services, to the global database, register at www.heartrhythmspecialists.org